Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Desert houses, Sky Valley


I was as bad as the kids Friday afternoon.  At the end of school, I grabbed my two cameras and ran out the door!  I brought both of them with me to school and I figured if it was a halfway decent day, I'd drive back out through Sky Valley, which is west of Indio Hills. I have a 3 day weekend this weekend and next and believe me, I couldn't WAIT for the weekend to begin!  My birthday is Tuesday (yes...Valentine's Day!) and the family is having a birthday dinner (they'll all be wearing black armsbands as I'm turning 60!) tonight, so I'll have another opportunity to get some desert photos this afternoon.  Anyway, these two are for Spare Parts.  I know he enjoys taking photos of old desert homesteads!  While I don't know if these two are homesteads, they were interesting, I thought. The top (blue) one has been like that for years.  The bottom one is out on Ford Street, which is one of the last streets before Desert Hot Springs.  We have friends who own a house on this street and I'm hoping this isn't their place because it is deserted.  There are some nice little ranches out in Sky Valley (that's where I found the fence gate with the metal quail on top) and sometimes I just like to drive out there and look around, like yesterday afternoon.  If you want to check out Spare Parts and Pics, here's the link:   http://sparepartsandpics.blogspot.com/2012/02/mohave-yucca-sky.html

3 comments:

Teresa said...

These two homesteads have a subtle AZ flair....

I bet you just "love" having your birthday on Valentines Day. Congratulations, you will be 40 years younger than the state of AZ on that day this year!!!!

desertsandbeyond said...

It sucks. It's like having your birthday on Christmas. But, I do get to have a friendly family dinner tonight! :-)

Gaelyn said...

Kind of sad to see the houses empty.

Enjoy your 3 day weekend. and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!