Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Friday, March 18, 2011

Gigondas rolling~Live Every Moment 031811




I don't talk about my horses on this blog. But, I do have another one which is devoted to them at http://deserthorses.blogspot.com/. However, I feel it is necessary to post this here. This is Gigondas, a thoroughbred mare who I rescued in 2006. She was listed on a rescue website and was up on a slaughter-bound feedlot in Washington state. A local rescue group would come in, photograph the horses, and briefly evaluate them (VERY BRIEFLY). I actually adopted another horse, along with Gigondas, in 2006 and they both came to California in January 2007. My cousin took the other mare, another beautiful chestnut, named Beauty, and trained her and started her trail training, but unfortunately, Beauty died in a freak accident in her corral. I was heartbroken for...well...I still am and it has been 2 1/2 years. Gigondas was an untrained thoroughbred mare who never raced. I do not know her history, only that she was abused. She was extremely head shy and she didn't like people, except for my husband (go figure!). I haven't had the time to do much with her, but she is now trained to walk calmly, lead, and do some gaits. I can now touch her all over without her flinching or pulling away and sometimes I just go and talk with her (and I sing to her!). Fortunately, she doesn't sing back! But, this horse, who was on a slaughter-bound feedlot, LOVES to RUN! When I take her down to the arena and the boarding ranch, I let her loose and she runs and runs and runs. She pretty much self-exercises and when she's ready to return to her corral, she calmly waits by the gate. You all KNOW there are thousands of other horses like her, on slaughter-bound feedlots in every state and California has MANY, MANY of these feedlots as people lose their jobs and home. I've rescued 6 horses in all now and I currently have 5, but with my salary frozen and with possible furlough days next year, I cannot adopt any more. I wanted to share her story with you because I wanted you to see an animal who LOVES life, who lives to run, and who hated humans, but now gives me back love in her own way. Maybe that's her way of saying, "Thank you"? Here she is enjoying a nice roll in the arena. This mare loves life to its fullest and never backs down from anything. She IS sensible and would make a great trail horse, so I may ask my cousin to start on her this summer. She definitely exhibits the attitude of Live Every Moment. To see other participants, please go to: http://liveeverymom.blogspot.com/ and if you would like to read about my horses, please visit: http://deserthorses.blogspot.com
I know that some of you will wonder about her name. Well, my husband renamed her "Gigondas" after his favorite big, red wine because she is a BIG, red horse...and the name seems to fit her. Gigondas is a wine region in France known for its big wines and we enjoy drinking them! I have tried and tried to find out her pedigree, but nobody knows where she came from. There are several thoroughbred farms in Washington state, but many of the horses on the feedlot are collected from auctions all over the West, and since she doesn't have a lip tattoo, I've hit a dead end. All I know is that this is a mare who loves life and who deserved a second chance. Please, if you can, donate to the horse rescue of your choice. I can personally vouch for TB Friends, which is in Sacramento, CA. Joe, the owner, rescues many, many thoroughbreds from tracks and feedlots. Also, Jill Curtis, of Shiloh Horse Rescue, near Las Vegas, Nevada, does a wonderful job of rescuing horses and then retraining and rehabbing them. I have visited her rescue several times and always enjoy going back to see the horses, donkeys, and dogs! SAFER also is another rescue in California. If you want more info about horse rescues, please email me. ~~Cheryl Ann~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely mare - and so great that you were willing to step up and give all of them homes.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Cheryl Ann :)
ciò che hai fatto per questi cavalli è meraviglioso !
penso che tu sia una persona molto speciale, ed i tuoi animali lo sentono e sono sicura che nel loro lin guaggio e comportamento ti dicano : " Grazie ! "
Ci dovrebbero essere nel mondo altre persone come te, ma purtroppo si è sempre troppo pochi per poter salvare gli animali... cani, cavalli, uccelli ecct.
Io in casa ho un cane chow che amo tantissimo e lui tutti i giorni, dico tutti i giorni mi dimostra tutto il suo amore !
Buona giornata :)))
Myriam

Tara said...

What a great capture and what a wonderful life you have given her. We have rescued all of our dogs and will continue to do so. It is such a wonderful thing to do. Thanks for linking up.