Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"S" is for...ABC Wednesday 112410







SCORPION! ACK! Yes, can you believe it? I had to make an "emergency run" to the nearby Ralph's grocery store over the weekend while out on my walk (to use their bathroom!). As I stepped out of my car and started to walk to the store, I just happened to look down at the ground and see this fellow! He wasn't entirely SQUISHED, so I bent over to take a closer look (completely forgetting why I was there in the first place!) I was so intrigued, I grabbed my camera and took these photos of it. I put my foot out so that you could see how big it was! His STINGER was still intact, as were his "claws". I haven't seen a live SCORPION for about 30 years, since the late 1970's when one crawled across out living room floor and our German Shepherd went to investigate it! I screamed then and the dog backed off! I understand that the bigger ones are not as deadly as the smaller ones, but can anybody confirm that? I have no idea what SPECIES this one is either. "S" for SCORPION...ABC Wednesday for November 24, 2010. UPDATE: from my research this morning, apparently this is a desert gold scorpion, whose venom isn't particulary toxic, unless you are a cricket! Phew!

6 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Scary! Or it could have been.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Ms. Diva said...

We have those here in the high desert! They are crazy!!!

Carolyn Ford said...

Wow! Glad it wasn't in the bathroom!!!! It seems they are so rarely seen, the illusive little critters...very cool capture.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

We found one in our trash container in the back bathroom this weekend in 29 Palms. Quite a bit smaller that what you have here. I've heard that their stings aren't nearly as bad as most people think (only about as bad as that of a bee), but don't want to put it to the test!! Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

I don't know the answers to your questions. I just know I don't want to me a very live scorpion!
Great S-day contributionl,
Helen Mac, ABC team

Janie said...

Great photos of your interesting find.
I'm glad to hear it's not a particularly toxic variety!