Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"My" mountain~That's My World 022310
















For some reason, I consider the Santa Rosa Mountains "my" mountains. They are only 10 minutes up the road from our desert home and are a completely different habitat and geologic zone. I love to drive up to these mountains and destress. And, believe me, after a week of third graders and third grade jokes, I'm READY to escape! So, Sunday morning, while hubby was sleeping in, I left the house at 6:30 a.m. and drove up the hill. Now, mind you, our desert home is at 228 feet above sea level. This portion of the mountains is at about 3,000 feet. So, the road up there is QUITE a drive! I love the environment of the pinyon forest...yuccas, pinyons, creosote, manzanita! I frequently see scrub jays. In fact, one of them seems to have got "off course" and ended up in our neighborhood! He's the first I've seen in 35 years in the desert! As I drove up the mountain Sunday morning, I could see the clouds moving in, along the tops of the mountains. I wasn't sure how far I'd be able to drive, as it appeared to be snowing on the highest mountain tops, but I figured I'd just drive as far as I could and then turn around. It turns out, I was able to get all the way up to my horses! I gave them a quick treat of sweet feed, and since it was nearly sleeting up there, I drove home. But, the mountain shared a beautiful morning with me and I thank her for that! It was clear and bright and sunny on the desert side, but the mountain side was dark and cloudy. Later this week, I'll share the double rainbow I saw that morning! That's My World for Tuesday, February 23, 2010.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I complete;y understand your need to 'escape' to peace, as an Elem school secretary!

This looks like a really beautiful spot to relax and enjoy the view.

Pat said...

Beautiful desert scenes! I like the one with fog (or a cloud) in it. LOL--Third grade jokes--love it!

Johnny Nutcase said...

Great post and beautiful photos. I've been craving the desert lately...this makes me miss it even more!