Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Highway 74~Our World Tuesday~100411



I travel Highway 74, from Palm Desert, to our local mountains, every weekend. I board my horses up in the mountains, out of the desert heat.  It's cheaper up there and I have 5 horses.  Also, I love driving this road during the various seasons and looking at how the mountains change.  They were very dry a few weeks ago, but have had numerous rain storms on them recently and the ocotillos are green.  We may get some snow from this next Arctic storm, so I'm anxious to watch for that.  I love driving this road on a stormy day and seeing the various changes on the mountains.  This used to be called the "Palms to Pines Highway", but was recently renamed the "Roy S. Wilson Memorial Highway".  To me, it will always be the "Palms to Pines Highway".  Italian prisoners of war built the road border along the highway (someday I'll stop and take photos of that) during WWII.  I often see other cars pulled over to take photos along the highway, especially on weekends.  It can be a dangerous road, with its twisty turns and sharp curves, but if you drive the speed limit, it's pretty tame.  However, sometimes a car or a motorcycle goes over the edge, probably due to excessive speed.  There are turnouts along it and I always pull over and let them pass.  Our World Tuesday for October 4, 2011. To visit Our World, please go to:  http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Andrea said...

It is fascinating to see these places at least in photos. Maybe you can post side by side the photos through the seasons. Are there also creatures present here, snakes maybe?

Donna said...

Love the backroads (hence my blog AlwaysBackroads) - and I drove Palms to Pines years ago. I'd love to see photos of the POWs work. Thanks for sharing these.

Anonymous said...

Looks dry and sunny. Lovely!

Pat said...

This looks so much like the roads in Arizona. So beautiful! I love the ocotillos with their green branches and orange "flags". So pretty!

Barb said...

I like the name Palms to Pines. Your western landscape is familiar to me - one I love. Stay safe on your drives!

Teresa said...

this reminds me a little of hwy 88 Apache Trail with all of the twists and turns! Scary but beautiful!

desertsandbeyond said...

Donna, I will stop and take some this weekend!
Cheryl Ann

Red Nomad OZ said...

Such an atmospheric landscape. And not unlike some of the Outback areas downunder in OZ!