Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ducks at the park~Nature Notes~October 20, 2011




Our local park has its own flock of ducks who hang around it day in and out.  They're very spoiled and tame...lots of people feed them.  Unfortunately, they don't always feed them the right foods.  I've seen people feeding them Doritos and bread.  I read that ducks shouldn't be fed those foods as they have no nutritional value.  I didn't feed them as I didn't have any food...what DO you feed ducks?  Birdseed?  Duck food? Nature Notes for October 20, 2011.  To see Nature Notes, please go to:  http://ramblingwoods.com/

7 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Delightful to watch, but shouldn't be fed any people food.

Pat said...

That first photo threw me for a loop. I thought it was a marshmallow sitting on a piece of stick! ha ha

Teresa said...

Duck, duck, GOOSE!.....I have been guilty of the bread thing :(

desertsandbeyond said...

NO BREAD! Bad, bad! I read that regular birdseed is fine...it is 99 cents a bag at our local 99 cents store!

Rambling Woods said...

The best thing to do is not to feed them so they go to an area where they can find the right food. Feeding them on the ground where there is feces can spread disease. But you're right no bread, no bird seed for the same reason as it can clog their throat.
Cracked, not whole corn doesn't have much nutritional value but not harmful as bread or bird seed can be. The very best is unmedicated game bird pellets.

Rambling Woods said...

I am passing along what my wildlife rehabber friend taught me.

Louise said...

The ducks that decimate my feeder area in the Winter love cracked corn. Trouble is that the other birds would like some, too, and don't get a chance.