Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Friday, February 25, 2011

Letters you don't want to see~Thematic Photographic, "Letters" 022511




Hubby and I drove up to the Whitewater Preserve last Sunday, after Saturday's snowfall and we stopped at the river. I saw this sign and went, "Gulp!" Bears? Mountain lions? Rattlesnakes? Oh, my! And, yes, flash floods! Actually, there were quite a few people out hiking and several families at the preserve. It was COLD and windy and I was cranky and tired, so we didn't stay long. Thematic Photographic~Letters~February 25, 2011. If you want to play or see other participants, please visit: http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2011/02/thematic-photographic-135-letters.html Update: For those of you who asked about this location, it is at the end of Whitewater Canyon, near Palm Springs. It is up in the San Bernardino mountains, about 2,000 feet. The Whitewater River comes flowing down through this location (see it in the second photo). This is VERY rugged terrain and one time, we looked at the top of the cliffs and saw a herd of bighorn sheep. Here in our mountains, where there are bighorn sheep, there are mountain lions. Yes, there are bears, too, in these mountains, but probably much higher up than this location. I'll post more pics tomorrow of Whitewater Canyon.
~~Cheryl Ann~~

9 comments:

Teresa said...

I would definitely be running in the other direction if I saw a sign like that---EEEKK! great pictures though...Love your blog header.

21 Wits said...

Wow what an adventure that was...lovely country as well...I wonder how many one would see on a trail like that? I used to go on on my grandpa's land all the time in Arizona and never once met a rattlesnake....but lions and bears oh my it does sound beckoning in a wild sense doesn't it?! Nice (fitting) music with this post....!

21 Wits said...

Wow what an adventure that was...lovely country as well...I wonder how many one would see on a trail like that? I used to go on on my grandpa's land all the time in Arizona and never once met a rattlesnake....but lions and bears oh my it does sound beckoning in a wild sense doesn't it?! Nice (fitting) music with this post....!

Bob Scotney said...

At least you to read the sign! We might get flash floods in the UK but none of the other hazards. Looks a great terrain to be in - but I would need a rifle with me.

me said...

We camp in bear country and had a fury visitor this summer. First time in 24 years that we have had a bear come into our site. We are lucky we only have the one danger to worry about. You desert folk are brave.

Inger said...

We have them here too, usually higher up for bears and mountain lions, but when summer comes, so do the snakes.--Inger

Max Sartin said...

Flash floods? In the desert! Unfortunately you have to warn people about that, a lot of people think desert means no water at all.
Great pictures!

carmilevy said...

I got chills just thinking about this sign, Geez, that's seriously scary...makes me glad I live in the Great White North, where the biggest threat is...uh, wait, we don't HAVE any! Maybe deer.

:)

Somewhere round about said...

no
i'm outta there............