Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Sunday, February 13, 2011

mature vineyard, Coachella, CA




After showing photos of burning bales of hay, I ventured out Friday afternoon, after school, to drive past the vineyards down by my school. I apologize for the poor quality of these pics, but it was mid-afternoon and the sunlight was funky and I was in a hurry to get home! I'll drive out that way again this week because, while this vineyard was pruned, the one next to it wasn't and the grape vines were going all over the place! These are table grapes, perhaps green table grapes? Wine grapes don't grow here in the desert. Yes, life in the desert DOES go on...these grapes are from an old vineyard. Can you see how big they are? I see a lot of young table grapes out by my school and they are itty-bitty compared to these "oldsters"! The Coachella Valley grows a lot of California's table grapes. I'll investigate the vineyard out east of my school next week and see if the grapes have started to grow. I love to watch the vineyards. They are so peaceful.


2 comments:

Lorac said...

Makes me thirsty for a good wine! LOL Have a great week!

Teresa said...

Interesting pictures...I know what you mean about the sunlight in the desert sometimes. There can be such a glare or just the wrong time of day can do it, too.

Now that's some aged wine!