Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter Storm!!!~Nature Notes 122310











After 3 days and then 24 hours of straight rain, our desert roads crossing the wash are ALL flooded and closed. Unfortunately, this car didn't get the memo and got stuck in the wash in Rancho Mirage. I went out at 7:00 a.m. and took these photos. Many other folks were out watching the car because the water was rising and I was sure it would go over the side while I was out there (it didn't)...There was a sheriff stationed at both sides of the wash and finally barriers were put up so that other drivers didn't attempt to cross the wash. I listened to the local news and this driver is facing a $400 towing fee AND a ticket for being SO STUPID! I mean, who in their right mind would attempt to cross a road during a storm when water is raging? My husband, who has lived here in the desert since 1960, told me tonight, while he's seen other storms, this one WAS a once in a 100 year storm, especially for winter. I remember back in 1976 and again in 1979 when we were hit with summer tropical storms and the wash flooded out again, but I do NOT remember another time during winter when so much water was in the wash and I've lived here since 1975. This was a warm, tropical storm, called the "pineapple express" because it came directly from Hawaii. At this hour (11:00 p.m.), the skies are clearing and we should have several days of clear and sunny weather! Nature Notes for December 22, 2010.




3 comments:

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi :)
tantissimi auguri di Felice Natale a te e alla tua famiglia.
Myriam

Rambling Woods said...

Here too when we get snow melt spring flooding some idiot tries to drive through it anyway and needs to be rescued..they should pay here too

Andrea said...

Your header is so exceptional, and the birds even went on top for the completion of the composition. I love it.