Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Coachella Valley Preserve~Nature Notes 040710
















Hubby and I drove out to the Coachella Valley Preserve on Tuesday morning. We didn't get out there until about 10:00 (MUCH too late for me!), and I was hoping if we got there early, we might see more animals, but alas...The CVP is a large area of desert which is undeveloped and preserved as it once was, with palm oases. The CVP is right along the San Andreas fault, near Indio, CA and the palms that line it are an indication of an active fault line. It is very cool inside the palms and a nice wooden walkway was out path for a while. There was plenty of cool water along the walkway, nourishing the palms. There is no charge to visit the preserve and, if you are in the area, it's a great place to learn about the flora and fauna. Nature Notes for April 7, 2010.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Ummm....when I was there recently there was an honesty box requesting visitors pay an entry fee of $5 per person. Perhaps vandals removed it..?

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi,
Coachella Valley bellissimo posto naturale... ma non è quì che ci fanno anche il festival della musica ?
Buona serata :-)

desertsandbeyond said...

Well, I've been there several times now and I've NEVER seen an "honesty box". But, I've never looked for it, either. Guess I'll have to ask. Funny, the gal at the counter who gave me a map, never mentioned it!

Carolyn Ford said...

I haven't been here but, I have been to various other Palm Oasis in the Palm Springs and Anza Borego area. They are amazing...the cooler temps are so noticeable among the trees. I really like the wooden walkway and how the lines lead the eye right into the trees!

Carver said...

That looks like a great place to walk. Nature preserves are so important for animals as they lose habitat but also great for humans to visit.

desertsandbeyond said...

I like it there, too, because every morning, they have a list of animals spotted the previous day. Lots of birds, insects, even an owl! Oh, and an occasional rattlesnake, now that it is spring!

Rambling Woods said...

I need to go and visit a state that has this kind of habitat as I can see from your blog how much I am missing.. OK...it is on the list. I would so love to be able to take a walk there....Michelle