Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lookout tower, Mogollon Rim




We don't have fire watch towers in Southern California. At least I've never seen any.  But, up on the rim, at Gentry Lookout, we found this one.  Nobody was in it (I imagine nowadays they "watch" electronically?)  It had a wonderful view of the rim, from the edge to the coming thunderstorm to the north and east.  Those dead trees are from the 2002 Rodeo-Chediski fire.  There's a small campground up here at the lookout and we might camp there someday.  There were a lot of woodpeckers around, too, and it was soothing to listen to them, although they were NOISY!

3 comments:

Mark Alan Meader said...

Actually there two local lookouts almost looking right down on you.. one on Tahquiz Peak (if you fancy a good day hike) and one on Black Mt. ( a bit east of Idyllwild) that you can drive to, except for the last half mile or so... highly recommended. You don't even need to drive all the way to Arizona:)

Gaelyn said...

Looks like one of the bigger lookouts. I love climbing them for the magnificent views. Was it open to the public?

desertsandbeyond said...

Mark, I know you are familiar with Idyllwild. I'll have to check those out! I frequently drive up there (my cousin lives in Garner Valley). Thanks for the tip! Now I have something to do!!!!