Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Seabiscuit tour, Santa Anita~~Sunday Stills Challenge 112209






























































































I've taken the Seabiscuit tour at Santa Anita a couple of times now. Heck, I used to go to the barn area many, many times when I was a kid! My great-uncle was a trainer during the 1960's and I frequently was able to visit his small string on the back row of the track's stables. (Just so you know, the larger and more impressive trainers are in the front. The smaller and less well known trainers are on the back row. My uncle was on the back row.) It had been over 40 years since I'd been in the stable area of Santa Anita and I went with a good friend. You can get tickets at Clocker's Corner. I believe there are a couple of tours and we took the first one that day. It was cold and misty, but the exercise boys and girls were out, the trainers were out, the horses were out. No tour would be complete without seeing the statue of Seabiscuit there at Santa Anita. It stands right at the paddock, where he can still keep an eye on everything that goes on! My grandfather used to take my mom and aunt to actually see Seabiscuit run at Santa Anita and I heard many, many stories about this great horse. Yes, that's me touching one of the Seabiscuit look-alikes at Santa Anita. I just couldn't keep my hands off!!! We were led on the tour by Laura, a delightful tour guide and I learned some things I didn't already know! Enjoy the tour! Sunday Stills Challenge for November 22, 2009.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Seabiscuit tour and pictures, and thank you for visiting and your kind comment!

CTG Ponies said...

How cool! There's a lot of history there.