Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"A" is for ash~ABC Wednesday 072110







Hubby and I visited Mt. Lassen during our last vacation. Neither one of us had been there before. We stopped at the museum/bookstore and learned that the most recent eruption, in the early 1900's, was a side blast. We drove by the eruption location, which is right along the main road, and stopped and got out to look at the ASH. I also included a photo of the side blast area. All the trees there are much younger than the rest of the trees in the park. It was an interesting spot and I'm glad we had the opportunity to stop and see Mt. Lassen. ABC Wednesday for July 21, 2010.

10 comments:

Misfit in Paradise said...

Wow, that is some old ash!

desertsandbeyond said...

Actually, it is not that old. I believe the last eruption was in 1915 (or thereabouts). That isn't old in geologic time. It was interesting to see the new growth of pines in that area and comparing them to the old growth ones on the opposite side of the mountain!

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh I love holiday pics - bring back so many good memories of the fun times we have on holidays!

Thanks so much
Denise
ABC Team

Gayle said...

Looks like a lot of dust would be kicked up if you walked on the rocks.

Dani said...

wow, interesting. I like your pictures.

Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Thank you for these photos of Mt. Lassen and ash! Made me think of my one visit to the back side of Mt. St. Helen's. Pardon my ignorance, but where is Mt. Lassen?
Helen Mac of the ABC team

Roger Owen Green said...

Oddly beautiful - growth coming thru.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

desertsandbeyond said...

Mt. Lassen is in northern California, north of Lake Tahoe. It is one of the volcanoes of the "Pacific Ring of Fire" from Alaska through Washington, Oregon, and California, then Mexico. It last erupted about 1915 and, like Mt. St. Helens, it was a side eruption.

Tumblewords: said...

Stunning photos. I haven't been there but it's amazing landscape.

Amy said...

I've been away so I'm late in commenting - Lassen is in our backyard (we live in Redding). We just went on a "trail less" hike a few weeks ago up Lost Creek. It was awesome - ice caves, some destruction of trees (from wind, water?). So happy you enjoyed your visit!