Deserts and Beyond

Deserts and beyond...places in and around the southern California deserts and beyond. Photo taken at Canyon Lake, in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, December 2011. A few minutes later, after the sun disappeared, these cliffs were their normal color. They were only golden for a short time and I'm glad we were able to view them in their glory.






Saturday, April 16, 2011

An unkindness of ravens ...GRAPHIC story

Please don't read this if you are faint of heart. If I were to read it myself, I'd cry. In fact, I've cried and cried already. When I was on my way to my morning walk this morning, I came upon an unkindness of ravens (a group of about 8 of them) next to the road. I stopped to see what they were feeding upon and to my horror, I spotted a LIVE jackrabbit. Yes, he was alive! I walked closer, scared them off, and saw that his back legs were broken. Apparently he had been struck by a car. I cursed the car, I cursed the ravens, but didn't have the means to put it out of its misery. Cars passed by, whizzing along (there usually isn't much traffic on that road, but I did see one speed by, completely obvious...) I looked into the rabbit's face and turned away...I just couldn't kill him. I found a maintenance worker at the golf resort, but he couldn't leave the property to do the deed. I fumed and stormed about, and an hour later, when I was leaving, I spied a car and a man walking nearby. Turns out, the rabbit had hobbled down to the street and when he came up, the ravens were feeding on him again. He had a large rock in his hand and told me he would put him out of his misery and told me to turn away. I tearfully gave him a pat on his arm and turned and walked away. I know that nature has her beauty, but I had a hard time seeing any today...

1 comment:

Gaelyn said...

You witnessed the miracle of life and death.