Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quail~Nature's Notes~091312






We had a family of quail come visit us twice a day, early morning and late afternoon, last weekend at the cabin up in our local mountains (Idyllwild).  I actually think it was two families.  There were over 20 of them! They came up from Strawberry Creek and its lush growth, which was right below our cabin.  Unfortunately, right as I was taking these pictures, a Cooper's hawk silently flew down and grabbed a blue jay who was also enjoying the seeds I threw out for the quail.  ACK!  I heard a squawk, saw the jay in the hawk's talons, and the hawk took off!  The quail scattered and I didn't see them again that morning.  Nature's Notes for September 13, 2012.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

5 comments:

Vores have said...

Nice pictures you show :)
Hanne Bente

Inger said...

The quail together with the ravens are the most common birds here in the canyon. Toward fall they gather into huge coveys with their young, I think there are about 100 birds sometimes. I knew nothing about them before I moved here and now I really enjoy them. It's sad about the blue jay, but the hawk has to eat too, I guess. Thanks for sharing these great pictures of the quail.

TexWisGirl said...

very cool! so pretty!

ZielonaMila said...

Nice photographs, observation of the nature it is a marvellous adventure. I am greeting

Rambling Woods said...

Oh no poor jay...sigh.. The quail are so cute and I guess that the hawk has to eat too. I am happy to see you again. I am guessing that you were busy with back to school stuff. Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes Cheryl Ann...Michelle