Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Gray squirrels~Nature's Notes~ 092012






As much as the blue jays entertained me last weekend, the gray squirrels were also quite entertaining.  They often charged the blue jays, making them scatter, so that the squirrels could get some food.  I guess they didn't like the jays encroaching on their food supply!  They would also scamper up the trees and chatter away.  One morning I heard both the jays and squirrels chattering and I looked out into the street and saw a gray fox go by!  Amazing!  I didn't have my camera with me, and I'm glad their chatter alerted me to its presence.  The squirrels really enjoyed the large sunflower seeds, as well as the peanuts.  However, they had to compete with the jays for the peanuts and the jays were much more agile and quicker!  Fortunately, the squirrels got plenty to eat.  Another family has rented the cabin for the next 5 days and I hope they will enjoy the jays and squirrels.  Nature's Notes for September 20, 2012.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

Oh how sweet they are. I too put out peanuts and watch the squirrels and jays compete...