Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Friday, June 22, 2012

Yosemite coyote

We drove up through Yosemite yesterday.  We got a late start because hubby was goofing around and we didn't leave the cabin until about 9:30 a.m.  I'm an early bird.  He isn't.  But, he's a night owl and I'm not. We saw a deer next to a pond in the park and we also spotted a coyote in a meadow (no bears sighted...).  We pulled over and I dashed out of the car with my camera and zoom lens.  The coyote was after a mole or something in the grass.  It was more gray than our coyotes here in the desert and was extremely preoccupied with its prey.  Another car stopped too, to investigate, and we talked to a mother and daughter from San Francisco who also spotted the coyote. Several cars stopped, thinking it was a bear, and I told them, "No, it's just a coyote!"  I really was interested in its coloring.  I hope you can see it in the photo...if not, just click on it to enlarge. Okay...I cropped it for the bottom photo so you can see it better!

2 comments:

Inger said...

I think ours are more gray in the winter here. I went back and checked my photos. I really want to go to where you guys are right now!

Gaelyn said...

Nice sighting. I saw a coyote yesterday but too quick for a photo.