Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Horseshoe Lake



Horseshoe Lake has always been an eerie place to me.  First, there are signs all around warning that this is an area of extreme carbon dioxide concentration!  Don't stay too long!  Fortunately yesterday there was a nice breeze!  Second, the dead trees, from a fire, give it a ghost-like look.  The Mammoth Trail goes up to the Pacific Crest Trail here and it was like a moonscape...everything was dead.  It's also bear country and cannisters for food are a requirement.  On another note, our "unwanted" guest showed up after dinner last night and pushed open the cabin door!  We were both inside, eating dinner.  I thought it was a bear.  Nope.  It was only the neighborhood dog (the one without manners), begging for some leftover steak!  Of course, hubby obliged her and she stuck around for about an hour.  I saw her at 5:00 a.m. today, out chasing birds and who-knows-what!  She's a hoot!

2 comments:

Inger said...

I hope my hubby and I can get away to some lakes soon. It sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Looks eerie to me, too, with those dead trees!