Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Monday, February 24, 2014

More signs of spring...YES, SPRING!

While other parts of the country are in a deep freeze, here in California, we are in the middle of the worst drought in 100 years.  Now, I'm not 100 years old, but this is the worst drought that I've seen in my 62 years.  It just goes on and on and on.  I remember some years when the wildflowers along Highway 74 (the "Palms to Pines" highway) were so thick that they were everywhere.  That hasn't happened for over 10 years.  Last year's crop was straggly and thin and this year's crop, if there even is one, will be thinner.  Coyotes are thin because there aren't many rabbits to eat.  There aren't many rabbits because there isn't any grass.

Even up at the horse ranch, where I board my horses, there is NO grass for them to chomp on around the arena.  Up by the round pen, where I also take them, there is NO grass.  I used to graze them under the mesquite trees where there has always been a nice patch of grass.  Nope...not this year.  There is NOTHING there.

Yet, Spring is on her way.  Trees and budding and the almond trees have blossomed.  Birds scoop up shedded horse hair.   Here are some photos I took on Saturday up at the ranch.





No comments: