Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Palm tree fire~Friday My Town Shootout~102012





It's been nearly two years now since someone set fire to the palm trees on the Coachella Valley Preserve.  I went out there a few weeks later to hike back and take a look.  It was awful.  These palms provided both food and shelter for animals.  They grow right on the San Andreas Fault, which runs north and south in California and they are only a couple of miles off Interstate 10.  I haven't gone back there...I've been too sick with my bronchitis to make the hike, but I'll return this winter to check on them (when I get my strength back).  I'm posting this to Friday My Town Shootout, which you can visit at:    http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Barb said...

I think its about time I wandered out that way with my camera, too. It has been a while.

Hope you're feeling better. Breathing issues are no fun.

Cheryl said...

What a shame. I hope they heal and sprout new growth when you're able to get back out there.

Feel better.

shabby girl said...

As awful as it is, fire is supposed to be good for the environment. I hope when you get back out there, you find new growth and a lovely place to hike!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

On my other blog, I wrote a reflective poem on Last tree standing. Yours is no difference.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

How is the doctor treating your bronchitis ?

desertsandbeyond said...

Ann, I've been through two rounds of antibiotics, two inhalers, and even cortisone tablets. NOTHING has helped. I think this is ONLY going to heal with time and REST!

Suburban Girl said...

Hope you feel better.

Pauline said...

I'm glad someone touched on the devastation of fire, it's such a threat to our environment (especially in the hands of idiots). Hope you are better soon - sounds like it IS time and rest that you needs!

Jama said...

I hope new palms are able to grow after this.