Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Friday, March 4, 2011

Salton Sea~SkyWatch Friday 030411







In spite of yesterday's post, there IS a certain beauty at the Salton Sea. These palms were along the shore near the marina club. I haven't been there early in the morning, but I can imagine that the sea, the sky, and palms would make a beautiful sunrise. The Salton Sea is over 45 miles south of our home, so I only get down that way if I'm in Thermal or Mecca. And, it's another 20 miles from there! I went down the east side this week and I'm thinking that one afternoon, after school, I may drive down the west side. The Salton Sea is California's largest inland body of water. It is 15 miles wide and 35 miles long, so you can see how big it is! It is also 226 feet BELOW sea level and agricultural runoff runs into the sea, making it full of pesticides and chemicals. Additionally, the New River from Mexico runs into it (ugh!) and we've all read about the pollution in the New River. I'm always amazed to see people water ski on the Salton Sea, but I guess if that's what you love to do...Still, who would want to swim in it? It is a major attraction for migratory birds. I saw pelicans skimming near the surface, but I couldn't get close enough to get a decent photo of them. I did see lots of seagulls and some water egrets. In spite of the detractions, I would like to return and get some early morning or later afternoon photos at the Salton Sea. SkyWatch Friday for March 4, 2011.

3 comments:

Patti said...

I have photographed the Salton once. Loved it. Love all the treasures out there. The old rotting signs and buildings. Really interesting! Amazing that the palms look healthy too with all thats going on in the sea!

Manuel Perez said...

WOW, I never seen the Salton Sea before and I am like you, thinking that it shouldnt even be open to the public with all the contamination around but it looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the post!

Manuel Perez

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Such a lonely, yet hauntingly lovely, place!

WHICH SKY FOR YOU?

Which sky for you?
One that is blue?
Or do you prefer
A sky that’s demure?

A sky in grey
Is soft, they say,
And not everyone
Likes the blinding sun.

Perhaps a sky
Through which geese fly
To winter havens
Away from ravens?

A rain-swept sky
That seems to cry?
O quickly choose one
Before day is done!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Cloud Maiden