Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Heat and humidity~Think Green Thursday 080509











It's been so darn hot here that we haven't been going outside much. In fact, we hibernate all day, then head up to the mountains about 5:00 p.m.. At least up there, the air is crisp and cool and there is usually an afternoon breeze. Down at 200 feet above sea level, the air stagnates and, until yesterday, with our afternoon breezes, doesn't move. Coachella is actually 62 feet below sea level! Believe me, summer in the desert is no fun! I looked at my thermometer yesterday afternoon when the UPS truck showed up and it was 118 degrees IN THE SHADE! Heat like this is only good for one thing...heat loving crops like CORN! The Coachella Valley actually gets two harvests of corn. The first one was in May and I would imagine the second one would be now. I'll have to make a trip down to the lower end of the valley one morning. I know that in August the farmers usually plow everything left under and let the fields lie fallow for a couple of weeks. Then, mid-August, which is coming up soon, they start to plant other crops.

No comments: