Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"Cheeky fellow"~Scrub Jay~Wild Bird Wednesday~030613





While I enjoy watching blue jays, I absolutely ADORE scrub jays.  They are smaller than the blue jays of our local mountains and, for me, more interesting to watch.  Both can figure things out, but, at least it seems to me, the scrub jays are more friendly.  We had one in our neighborhood for nearly 4 years, until the resident Cooper's hawk killed him and ate him for dinner...sigh..."Burt", as I named him, would sit on our fence and watch for my car in the afternoons and then demand his acorns!  I often drove up into our local mountains to collect them by the hundreds for him, since they are only available in the fall.  I'd dole out 3 or 4 for him a day.  He would also greet me in the mornings with a squawk or a fly-by.  He got quite tame and I fear the hawk spotted his antics one day and zeroed in on him and POOF! ~~ he was a goner.  I miss my scrub jay and I constantly seek them out when up in the mountains, or, in this case, at Joshua Tree National Park.  This guy was fairly tame, too, and casually landed in one of the joshua trees for a song and a photo.  Wild Bird Wednesday for March 6, 2013.   To visit Wild Bird Wednesday, please go to this link:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Yes, scrub jays are great... so much personality! I love seeing this one on the JT.

mick said...

Beautiful bird. It would be great to have one come close and greet you - even if it was just a call for food!

Stewart M said...

What a find - and what a fine looking bird. I can see why you like watching them.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: you can use the link function in blogger to put a URL behind some text if you do want an ugly looking web address in your post. You can email me if this does not make any sense!

Gemma Wiseman said...

O wow! Love the story accompanying these lovely photos! Burt sounds like a very special little feathered friend!

A Colorful World said...

What a lovely story of your friend the Scrub Jay! Sweet bird. Nice photos!

Wally Jones said...

What a wonderful post and great images!
Timely, too! I just photographed a few Florida Scrub Jays last week and attended a lecture yesterday about their natural history.
Great birds!