Eastern Sierra

Eastern Sierra
Eastern Sierra snow October 2010

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Monsoon!

Monsoon season has begun here in our Southern California desert region.  I don't ever remember it being this early, but who knows?  I know Arizona has been getting some storms and clouds have been coming up through the Coachella Valley the past several days.  We had one storm this week and another one the last few days.

I looked up about 3:30 p.m. yesterday and the sky to the south of us (over the Santa Rosa mountains) was completely dark.  I could see rain pelting down, so I hopped into the car with my camera and off I went!

Turns out, Pinyon Pines got nearly 1/2 inch of rain!  I missed the downpour on Highway 74, but it was still raining up in Deep Canyon.  I drove around and took photos of all the running water, and there was a LOT!  I even saw a faint rainbow!

It was a good day to get out.

 Storm clouds and palm trees in Palm Desert, on Highway 74.
 Nice clouds
 Downpour!
 Parking lot at the trailhead in Pinyon Pines
The aftermath...

No comments: